So over the three class periods that we had this week we discussed social science research and what makes it bad or good, and that we need to be skeptical when reading about such subjects. Because everyone is raised with different cultures and values they come up with their own theories and beliefs of why things are. So when we come across social science information we need to be careful on how we view it and to make sure we look at the fine print because it can be misleading if we do not.
Here are some questions to consider:
What effects marriages in our world today?
Why are some of us scared of marriage ...what are our fears... should we fear?
What will I benefit from being married.... is it true that we are happier when married?
Should other items be out infront of marriage?
Another subject we discussed were the trends in marriage and how they effect us. These trends being: premarital sex, cohabitation, employed mothers, divorce, births to unmarried mothers, living alone, delayed marriage, birth rate, and the number of people in a household. Ever thought about how these might effect you personally? Most of these are increasing for whatever matters. So ask yourself this, if they are true what are we going to do about it?
One that I asked myself is why may birth rates be going down? Well these days many are marrying latter then in previous years causing less years for child bearing. Or many marry and never desire to have children, or some have a couple children and then stop because they want to do other things in their life.Which is great but have you ever stopped to consider that you could be denying a child to come into a family they should be. This thought intrigued me. We discussed a little in class about the children who are placed into adoption and foster care systems because the families they did enter were not ready for them or did not want them. Could one of these have potentialy been yours but you denyed them the privilege of entering your home? So what is it that you may put in front of such a precious decision? Consider those you may force to go somewhere else.
That is a wonderful thought. I hope I was not one of those that sent a special spirit to someone elses home. How would we know? What about those families that want children but can't have them for unknown reasons? I think the way the world thinks today is way different than the ways of the past. Todays couples want to try each other out first to see if things will work out. If not then there are no strings attached. Unless they have brought a child into the relationship. Then it's a whole nother matter.Thats why I love having the gospel of Jesus Christ to guide and direct us. We just have to stay close and always keep God part of the equation. I know for me sometimes I get going along and think I am doing so good and don't take the time to include Heavenly Father into the equation. Thats when we get cought up in other things. Love ya Thanks for sharing!
ReplyDelete